Cook once and eat all week with this protein-packed beef carnitas recipe! Serve in grain-free tortillas, in a bowl with some veggies and rice, or any other way- the options are endless.
Number of Servings: 6
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 8 hrs. 10 min.
Total Time: 8 hrs. 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 ½ pounds beef chuck flat iron steak, cut into thirds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large orange pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles (mild or medium, depending on head preference)
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, paprika, and coriander. Coat all sides of the 3 pieces of flat iron with the seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat a 12-inch skillet with 2 tablespoons oil. Add the flat iron and sear for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and place in a 6-quart crockpot.
- Using the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, followed by the peppers and green chiles. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, just until peppers are just starting to soften, but still vibrant in color. Pour the vegetables, as well as any remaining seasoning and “cooked bits” from the pan, into the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, until beef can be easily shredded with a fork.
- When finished cooking, shred the beef right in the crockpot with 2 forks, then toss with vegetables. Enjoy right away or allow to cook and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Traditionally made with pork, this version utilizes beef flat iron for a slightly leaner take (but still well-marbled) on carnitas.
- Enjoy in tortillas, or in a bowl with rice!