Celebrate Apple Pie Day with this Perfect Paleo Pie!
Yesterday was National Apple Pie Day, but you don’t need an excuse to celebrate with this healthy rendition of the classic. Ooey-gooey “caramel” apple filling… flaky, buttery crust… all paired with a dollop of coconut whipped cream. Mmmm.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 45 min.
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 6 large organic apples, green varieties preferred
- 1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apples
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup monk fruit sweetener, or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a pie pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl or food mixer, add all of the pie crust ingredients and stir to combine. Use your hands to form it into a dough and press into the bottom of the pie pan.
Bake pie crust for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, prepare your apple pie filling by adding all ingredients to a large bowl and tossing to combine.
Pour apple pie filling into the cooked pie shell.
Make your crumb topping by mixing all crumb ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the apple layer.
Bake apple pie in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through and bubbly.