Creamy Beet Soup
This creamy and colorful beet soup is jam-packed with nutrients. Heart-healthy beets are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Lemons add a nutritious and zesty punch. And red chili flakes not only bring the heat — they curb hunger and boost metabolism!
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 50 min.
Total Time: 60 min.
- 4 small beets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- salt and pepper, to taste (for seasoning the beets)
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, adjust to spice preference
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups pasture-raised chicken bone broth, or vegetable broth
1) Preheat the oven to 425F. Remove beet greens and scrub beets clean. Dry well, then place on a large square of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour, or until beets are fork tender. Carefully open foil and allow beets to cool until able to safely handle.
2) Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until fork tender, 18-20 minutes.
3) When beets are cool, use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to remove the root and skin. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
4) Add beets, potatoes, all seasonings, lemon juice, coconut milk, and broth to a blender and blend until smooth.
5) Keep warm in a saucepan until ready to serve.