Tips and tricks that’ll help you stick to your plan this summer.
Eating well during the summer can be tough. Long sunny days and balmy evenings are often accompanied by delicious eats, treats, and fun tropical bevies! It’s a social time, so many of us find ourselves away from home.
Here’s our top strategies for eating well when away from home. And it starts at home before you go 😉
- Eat a meal that is satisfying and satiating. The specifics of this depend on your goals, but for most people, a meal that emphasizes 3-6 oz lean protein, 1-2 cups of high-fiber vegetables, and just enough healthy carbohydrates and fats, will keep hunger and cravings in check for several hours.
- Pack snacks. What you carry with you will depend on your goals and personal preferences, but some ideas include:
- Homemade or store-bought protein bars (remember, aim for “better, not perfect”). In general, bars that have higher protein and lower sugar are good choices.
- Fresh fruit, like an apple or an orange.
- Nuts and seeds, with/without dried fruit.
- Naked protein shake. Bring a shaker cup with a scoop or two of your favorite protein powder. Add water when needed.
- Canned fish. Sardines, tuna, salmon. Keep utensils in the car and/or purse/bag. Bamboo ones are reusable too!
- Hard-boiled eggs, shells removed ahead of time.
- Heading to the beach? Pack a cooler bag with some ice and bring things like hummus, grilled chicken breast slices, Greek yogurt (higher in protein), cottage cheese, raw vegetables, and some juicy watermelon slices!
Being away from home is one of the most common challenges when it comes to sticking with nutrition and fitness goals. On the one hand, we want to be out enjoying life. On the other hand, we want the controlled environment of our homes. Luckily, we can still prioritize healthy eating even if we’re away from home.
Got other ideas? Share your top choices in the comments below!