Spring is in the air! Celebrate with this light and fluffy lemon cake topped with juicy organic blackberries. This cake is perfect for sharing and is gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 25 min.
Total Time: 45 min.
For the cakes:
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups monk fruit sweetener
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups 1:1 gluten-free flour blend or paleo flour blend
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- zest from two lemons
For the frosting and filling:
- 1 cup coconut oil or Miyoko’s dairy-free butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered swerve sweetener
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 lemon, juiced, and zested
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (homemade, or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries, for decoration
Preheat the oven to 350F and lightly grease two cake rounds with coconut oil.
In a large food mixer, add coconut oil, sweetener and eggs and mix on high to combine.
Add flour, baking powder, sea salt, almond milk and lemon zest, stirring continuously.
When combined and no lumps remain, divide batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in the food mixer, add coconut oil or butter, sweetener, tapioca starch, lemon juice and zest. Whisk until fluffy and thick, like a buttercream frosting.
When the cakes are done, let cool completely. Frost one side of the cake round and top with the other cake round. Using a piping bag, or by hand, frost the top of the cake, leaving the sides bare for a “naked cake” effect. Place blackberries in the center of the cake, if desired.
Slice and serve immediately!