Old Fashioned Oats with Butternut Squash and Maple
Don’t expect leftovers when you whip up this delicious old-fashioned oatmeal dish for breakfast. You may not think about eating butternut squash in the morning, but this veggie is full of nutrients and low in calories!
Number of Servings: 2
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons pepitas, for topping
- Add olive oil to a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the butternut squash and salt and cover, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the oats, pure maple syrup, flaxseed, chia seeds, cinnamon stick, rosemary and almond milk. Increase the temperature to medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a low boil while you stir. Once a low boil is reached, continue stirring occasionally, turning down the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Continue to stir until thick and creamy, 8-10 minutes.
- Serve topped with pepitas.
- This is a great way to use leftover butternut squash! Peel and chop squash ahead of time for meal prep.