Pork Green Chili
Can you smell the peppers and onions roasting? Once soft they are blended, then added to shredded pork and fragrant spices to simmer into a warming soup. Everyone can personalize their own dish with cilantro, cheese, avocado, etc.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 8 ounces tomatillos (about 6 tomatillos), husks removed, rinsed and quartered
- 2 poblano peppers, stems removed and halved
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stems removed and halved
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup packed cilantro (about 3/8 ounces)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1-pound shredded pork
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Optional toppings: cilantro, cotija cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, etc.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Add the tomatillos, peppers, and onions to a large sheet tray and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, toss, then roast for 15 minutes more. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly- about 5 minutes.
3) Add all the contents of the sheet tray to a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix), along with the cilantro and the chicken stock. Process until smooth.
4) Using a medium soup pot, add the shredded pork, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, cumin, and dried oregano and sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until spices become fragrant.
5) Add the mixture from the blender to the soup pot and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Allow to simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro, cheese, avocado or tortilla chips, if desired.