Hey, what’s up? It’s Dr. Jade Teta here.
I’ve been getting tons of messages from people asking, “What’s the BEST diet to boost my immune system?”
Easy: it’s the diet that works for you.
I’m not being flippant. The best immunity diet is the one that builds a strong, resilient metabolism. That’s because your metabolism FUELS your immune system.
So, you must figure out what works for YOU. It doesn’t matter what works for your friend or spouse. It doesn’t matter what that scary food documentary said you should or shouldn’t eat.
Look, I don’t care if you’re eating nothing but Twinkies, cookies, Coke and booze… IF — and this is a big, important IF — it’s working for YOU.
That means you’re looking good, feeling good, and performing well. More specifically:
· Your Sleep, Hunger, Mood, Energy and Cravings (SHMEC) are all in check…
· Other biofeedback is in check: exercise performance & recovery, libido, menses, digestive health, signs and symptoms of disease…
· You have the optimal body composition you want (for most people, this means you’re losing fat and gaining muscle)…
· Your labs and vitals are moving in the right direction (blood pressure, blood sugar, etc.)…
· And your immunity is high — i.e. you’re not getting sick.
If all these things are checking out, then sugar and alcohol is what works for you.
Now, do I really think a sedentary lifestyle full of sugar and alcohol will keep SHMEC in check and lead to good overall health?
Of course not… and based on my clinical experience and research, I don’t suggest it. (Unless you’re Buddy the Elf, who clearly thrives on syrup and candy canes.)
My point is, if you came to me and said, “Jade, this is what I’ve been eating, and it’s working for me…” I would put my biases against a sugar-based diet aside and give you a high five.
So, I want you to do the same: put your biases aside. Your ideas of what is “right” or “wrong” may be THE thing holding you back from finding the ideal protocols for YOUR body.
Don’t get caught up in the dogma. Don’t keep looking for an off the shelf, one-size-fits-all protocol to finally save you. It does not exist.
Instead, just play Metabolic Detective to figure out what works for you.
I’ve written extensively about this process on this blog and in my video lectures. But if you’re new to this concept, here’s a brief overview:
1. Experiment with everything to find out what works for you. Release your biases. Stop comparing your diet to others — they are not YOU.
2. Try new things and check your results.
3. Tweak until SHMEC is in check, you’re losing fat, and all the other criteria I just listed is working.
4. Congratulations — you found what works for YOU. Now continue to do what works for you.
It may feel like a lot, but please, don’t get overwhelmed. I walk you through it step by step in the video below (and here on the Metabolic Living blog.)
Keep in mind, finding what works for you is a process. It will take time, but not a lot of time. That’s OK — I promise it’s worth it. And we’re here to support you and answer your questions as you go.
For more detail on the Metabolic Detective process, see my video lecture below.
Remember, the most EFFECTIVE thing you can do to boost immunity is to strengthen your metabolism, because your metabolism POWERS your immune system.
I hope you’re enjoying this free immune system crash course. Please feel free to leave us a comment or question below!