Finally — a truly filling soup to keep you warm in winter. Packed with healthy fat from coconut milk, fibrous cauliflower, this full-flavor, meaty zuppa is comfort soup at its finest. And it’s a snap to make! Buon appetito!
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 50 min.
- 1 pound spicy Italian pork sausage meat
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 halved and thinly sliced leeks
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped (see Cook’s Notes)
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 15.5 ounce can coconut milk, full-fat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 bunch Kale, washed, stemmed, and roughly chopped
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add Italian sausage, bacon pieces, and red chili flakes. Break up the sausage using a spoon and cook meats all the way through. Set meat aside in a bowl.
Add onion, leek, fennel, and garlic to the bacon fat in the Dutch oven. Cook about 5 minutes, or until onions and fennel are translucent.
Add chicken broth to Dutch oven. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to medium heat. Add cauliflower florets, fresh thyme, and coconut milk. Add cooked sausage and bacon back to Dutch oven, along with salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
Add 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley and kale. Cook until kale is wilted.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
To prepare fennel, trim off the fennel stalks and cut the bulb in half. Then, cut the halves into quarters. Peel off any wilted layers on the exterior, then slice the fennel crosswise.