Avocado Citrus Shrimp with Coconut Rice
Here’s a gorgeous tropical dish you can enjoy any day of the year! Cilantro-lime marinated shrimp are skillet-cooked and tossed with red peppers and creamy avocado, then served over a bed of rich coconut rice. It’s sweet, spicy, tangy, creamy dinnertime perfection!
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 limes, 1 zested and juice from both
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/16 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound 71/90 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 avocado, cut into cubes
1) Combine coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice, then reduce the temperature to low and cover with a lid. Allow the rice to cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit, covered, for 20 more minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
2) While the rice is cooking, whisk together the lime zest, juice, avocado oil, garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Toss in the shrimp and allow to marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
3) Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and any remaining marinade to the skillet and sauté shrimp for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally, until pink and fully cooked, but not rubbery. Remove to a bowl promptly.
4) With the remaining liquid still simmering, toss in the peppers and sauté for 3-4 more minutes. Add the peppers to the shrimp, then stir in the avocado. Serve over coconut rice.