Bacon jam is a bacon lover’s dream come true. It is a sweet and savory spread made from onions, maple syrup coffee, and of course… bacon!
Number of Servings: 12 (serving size=2 tablespoons/Total yield 1 ½ cups)
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 1 hr.
Total Time: 1 hr. 20 min.
- 1-pound smoked bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Add the bacon to a 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally, cook the bacon until it is browning and just beginning to get crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Carefully remove from the skillet onto a clean plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Leave 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the skillet and discard the rest. Decrease the temperature to medium-low and add the onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until onions are softened and have become translucent. Add the reserved bacon, pure maple syrup, coffee, garlic and apple cider vinegar. Turn up the temperature to medium high and bring to a boil. Lower again to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon mixture is thick and jam-like, remove from the heat and use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- When the bacon jam has been stored in the fridge, the fat will turn white. However, bring the bacon jam to room temperature before enjoying and that will disappear. You may also reheat in a skillet.
- To help dice the bacon, place it in the freezer for 15-30 minutes, or until slightly firm, and then cut.
- If smoked bacon is not available, use regular.
- Enjoy with crackers, your favorite protein, eggs…the sky is the limit!