Heirloom Tomato Tart. Perfect to Celebrate Mum!
Celebrate Mothers’ Day with this gluten-free heirloom tomato tart. Perfect for your holiday brunch!
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
For the crust:
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- 1/2 cup cold water
For the filling:
- 6 ounces hard grass-fed cheese, grated (or dairy-free cheese)
- 1 1/2 lbs. organic heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 12 leaves of fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, add flour, xanthan gum, and cold butter. Use your hands to create a crumb mixture. Whisk egg yolk and cold water and then add to the crumb mixture. Mix to combine and knead using your hands. Create a large ball with the dough and cover it in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
Preheat the oven to 375F. Remove dough from the fridge and using a rolling pin, roll out to create a flat circle big enough to cover the bottom and sides of a pie dish.
Lightly grease a pie dish with coconut oil or grass-fed butter and place dough over the bottom. Pierce with a fork several times and wash with egg white.
Fill pie crust with 1/2 of the grated cheese and then line with tomato slices. Top with remaining cheese and fresh basil. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until set. Remove and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
- For a paleo/grain-free option, I have had success making the crust with a 1:1 paleo flour blend.