This one-pan meal is as simple as it gets — yet it’s elegant enough to be served at the fanciest dinner party. And the flavor! This combination of a few simple herbs and seasonings with minced garlic, olive oil, and lemon is like a party in your mouth! Plus, the cleanup’s a breeze!
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 40 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon onion granules
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 breasts if large)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, then cut into thirds
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a small bowl, combine ½ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, celery seed, onion granules, red pepper flakes and the zest of 1 lemon. Reserve the rest of the lemon. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and stir to combine. Use a pastry brush to coat all sides of the chicken with the herb oil mixture.
3) Preheat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, presentation side down, and cook until the first side develops a nice golden color, 3-4 minutes. Flip and sear for another 3-4 minutes.
4) While the chicken is searing, slice the lemon into 8 thin slices. Place 2 slices of lemon on top of each chicken breast.
5) Place skillet in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove and add the asparagus, scattering around the chicken breasts. Drizzle asparagus with remaining tablespoon of olive oil and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Return to the oven for 10-12 more minutes, until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees and asparagus is tender, but not limp.