Sweet and spicy Thai meatball bowls will add dinner time excitement to any weekday. In under an hour you can be enjoying these beef/pork meatballs with cauliflower rice. The homemade sauce will give you just the right of zing!
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 30 min.
Total Time: 1 hr.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 lb. ground beef, 90% lean
- 4 tablespoons basil, fresh, minced, divided
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 2 limes, zested
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 2 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup chickpea crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 lb. ground pork, 80% lean
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set aside 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
2) In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, eggs, fish sauce, green onions, red pepper flakes, garlic, zest of 2 limes, mint,1/4 cup basil and chickpea crumbs. Using clean hands, gently combine all ingredients.
3) Using 1/4 measuring cup, scoop out the mixture and roll into a bowl with the palms of your hands. Place on the sheet tray and continue until you have used all of the beef/pork mixture. You should get about 18 1/4 cup meatballs. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove, flip the meatballs and add the peppers and sugar snap peas. Toss the vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until the meatballs are browned on the outside and cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
3) While the meatballs are in the oven, prepare the sauce. Whisk together the coconut aminos, sambal oelek, honey, juice of 2 limes and remaining 1 tablespoon of basil. Set aside.
4) Cut the florets from the head of cauliflower and working in batches, pulse the florets into rice-sized pieces in a food processor.
5) Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet. Once shimmering and hot, add the cauliflower rice and saute for 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Rice should be tender, but not mushy.
6) To assemble your bowls, add cauliflower rice, meatballs, vegetables and a drizzle of the sauce. Finish with a pinch of sesame seeds.