Have a nourishing dinner on the table in under 30 minutes with this hearty black bean soup! Feel free to increase the heat by adding a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 white onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic black beans, with liquid
- 1 cup tomato salsa (favorite store-bought brand)
- 1 cup salsa verde (favorite store-bought brand)
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegetarian
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild chopped green chilis
- Optional toppings: cilantro, cotija cheese, avocado, fresh lime juice
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cumin and sauté until onions begin to become translucent, 3-5 minutes.
Add beans, salsas, chicken broth, and green chilis and stir to combine. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to marry, then finish with desired toppings.
-If the salsas you are using are a thick or “chunkier” version, add more chicken broth to prevent the soup from getting too thick.